Role: Part-Time Investment Intern
You are a New England-based student or recent grad (preferably in the Greater Boston area). You are excited to continue building your experience in the future of the financial system, particularly when it comes to banks and fintechs. You have shown interest in multiple sectors of fintech including: Back-Office Automation, Blockchain & DLT, Customer Experience, Cybersecurity, Data & Analytics, InsurTech, Lending, Payments, Personal Finance & WealthTech, and Treasury & Cash Management.
You understand the difference between a fintech that is disruptive to existing financial institutions, and ones that are enabling the existing institutions to transform and persist. You also get excited by the idea of guiding many existing community banks on their innovation and digital transformation journeys and being immersed in this ecosystem.
About BankTech Ventures
BankTech Ventures (BTV) is a recently launched strategic investment fund for the future of banking and is comprised of over 100 community banks as the limited partners in the fund. The BTV team identifies, evaluates, de-risks and invests in the best technology companies to enable banks to digitally transform and thrive in the coming decade. Our first fund closed in August with just over $116M committed, and we’ve made 8 investments so far, with 25-30 planned for this fund. Our average investment so far has been between $2-3M, and ranged from leading, co-leading and participating in rounds, with tremendous flexibility in our investment stages and structures.
We’re looking for one to two investment interns to join our growing team.
1. Assist in sourcing and screening of world-class founders/companies from idea to Series B stage, working on highly relevant solutions for banks.
2. Assist in the creation of clear investment cases and investment memos for the fund, projected investment returns, as well as business cases for individual banks to benefit from working with the companies.
3. Assist in due diligence across valuation, business analysis, market research and other areas appropriate to the stage and maturity of the company.
4. Determine any key gaps in a company as well as primary risks from investing in them and/or their work with community banks.
5. Identify what relevant competitors exist, as well as why a company stands out amongst them in our BTV context.
6. Begin building your unique, authentic reputation in the marketplace, while also aligning with BTV’s core values and ecosystem partners.
Preferred Background & Experiences
1. Current student or recent graduate; advanced degrees welcomed and valued
2. Greater Boston or New England-based
3. A strong interest in finance/investment (VC/PE/Buyside) with banking and/or fintech interest strongly preferred
4. Excel modeling and finance/investment experience to both develop investment models and critique company-provided ones
5. Understanding of venture scale dynamics and business models
6. Experience with term sheets and deal documents
7. Attention to details in due diligence and risk management
8. Broad relationship-building capabilities across founders, collaborators and bank executives
9. Natural instincts for knowing your audience
10. A strong propensity to learn and to act on constructive feedback
11. Clear and comfortable communicator across channels from presentations to writing and public speaking
12. Curiosity in broader financial services and fintech areas and desire to build continued expertise in it as well as translation to community bank contexts
13. Enjoyment for creative problem solving and high engagement discussion, debate and collaboration
14. Mission and purpose-led to serve both founders and our strategic investors and see both groups succeed by working more closely together
Compensation & Term
1. Competitive hourly rate, commensurate with industry experience
2. Minimum of 10 hours per week expected
3. Position is slated for a 3 to 4 month timeframe. Potential for longer if desired
4. Potential for contract-to-hire transition if both parties agree
Please submit any investment experience, cover letter and resume to:
Brandon Oliver, Investor
BankTech Ventures is an Equal Opportunity Employer